J-1 Visa for Exchange Visitors

J-1 Visa is for exchange visitors) is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.

In carrying out the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor Program, the Department of State (“DOS”) designates public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors.

J-1 Visa is issued to:

  • Research scholar
  • Short-term scholar
  • Bona fide trainee or intern
  • College or university student
  • Teacher
  • Secondary school student
  • Nonacademic specialist
  • Foreign physician
  • International visitor
  • Government visitor
  • Camp Counselor
  • Au pair
  • Summer student in travel/work program

Criteria for J-1

  • Sufficient funds.
  • Fluency in English.
  • Medical insurance for accident and illness for J-1 and dependents. Minimum amount of coverage is $50,000 per accident or illness.
  • A residence abroad.

How do I obtain a J-1?

  • Consulate may issue a J-1 visa at any time of the year.
  • A DS-2019 (former IAP-66), also known as Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, (formerly known as an IAP-66). will be provided by your J-1 sponsoring agency.
  • J-1 may not enter the United States more than 30 days before the program start date on the DS-2019 and may remain 30 days post-completion “for the purpose of travel”.
  • J students do not an interview for the visa renewal, as they fall under the “Visa Interview Waiver Pilot Program”.