I have filed for a status change to H-1B. Can I travel outside the US and come back?

A worker if already in the US may just change his visa status from another visa to an H-1B, without obtaining a stamped-visa from the U.S. Consulate abroad. However, if he leaves United States and travels abroad, he would require a visa-stamping before gaining an entry back into the United States.

It is NOT advisable to travel outside the U.S. until your application with USCIS is processed.