Yes. H-1B permits “dual intent”. So approval of a Labor Condition (PERM), or filing of an immigrant visa (“Greencard”) will not affect the H-1B petition (Cap or Cap-exempt).
What is Lawful Permanent Residence (“LPR”)?
- Status of being lawfully accorded the privilege to reside permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
- LPR may also be referred to as an immigrant visa.
- Every year Congress has authorized to issue 480,000 immigrant visas.
What is a Greencard?
- Greencard is only a card which is an evidence of being a lawful permanent resident. LPR status, and not Greencard is determinative.
- Greencard is also known as I-151 or I-551.
Intent to keep United States Permanent Residence
- LPR or Greencard holder may have multiple residences, but their U.S. residence should be a permanent one.
- LPRs can lose their status if they are staying outside the country for too long on a frequent basis, even if they visit the U.S. often.
- LPR status maybe lost if it is abandoned.
- LPRs can be deported for certain offenses.